As a general rule, veterinarians and pet nutrition specialists do not recommend feeding your dog home cooked meals, unless the food is prepared properly. Foods like onions, cabbage, grapes, citrus, salt in large amounts, etc. are considered to be bad for dogs but there are also plenty of other vegetables and fruits that are rich in vitamins and minerals and can improve the health and overall well being of your dog. We’ve gathered some easy and tasty homemade dog food recipes for your beloved pet, so take a look below.
Useful tips before starting
- These homemade dog food recipes are for dogs that are over 2 months old and do not have digestive problems or food allergies.
- The food prepared can be served, depending on the recipe, immediately or after cooling to room temperature.
- The meals can be stored in the refrigerator for two days; it is recommended that the dish is removed from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before serving to reach room temperature. If you want to feed your dog faster, warm up the food in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Do not use spices and avoid salt as much as possible.
- Important! All ingredients used must be fresh and unprocessed. Onions are not present in any recipe because they can be particular toxic to dogs.
- If you’re just starting to feed your dog homemade meals, it’s recommended to mix the food with the dry food he’s used to eating to make the transition easier from dry food to home cooked meals.
Ingredients: 2 cups of oatmeal, one tablespoon of soybeans, one tablespoon flour, 2 tablespoons oil, 4 eggs. Thoroughly mix the oatmeal and flour, add the meat, the beaten eggs and oil. Divide the mixture obtained in small portions to form meatballs. Bake at 350 ° F for at least 15 minutes, then serve at room temperature.
Ingredients: a cup of whole grain pasta, 200 g fresh, cheese, a large glass of yogurt, pinch of salt. Preparation: Boil pasta as instructed on the package and once ready, let it cool. Mix cow’s cheese with yogurt, salt and add it on the pasta. Mix everything together and serve warm.
Rice with ground meat
Ingredients: 1 lb (1/2 kg) of ground beef, lamb or turkey, a cup of cooked rice in vegetable soup, a potato, carrot, a cup of peas. Grill or roast the meat until cooked and then drain the fat. Add the rice and mix thoroughly. Boil the potato, cut cubes along with peas and the rice separately. Once everything is cooked, mix all ingredients together and let it cool until it reaches room temperature.
Ingredients: 1 cup of rye flour, 1/2 cup of powdered milk, 3 tablespoons butter, one egg, one cup of chicken soup, one cup of boiled pasta and vegetables. Mix all ingredients with the soup to form a thick paste. Spread in the baking pan with butter or oil and cut squares. Let it bake for half an hour. Serve it cold.
Ingredients: 3 thin slices of salmon, 2 eggs, ½ cup of chopped spinach, 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Heat olive oil in a pan. Cook the salmon and spinach for a couple of minutes or more. Add the eggs to the pan and mix for 2 minutes. Allow to cool before serving
Rice with spinach and turkey
Ingredients: half a pound of ground turkey meat (1 kg), 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 carrots, 3 cups of spinach, ½ cup of peas, 1 ½ cup of rice. Cook the rice as instructed on the package. Heat oil in a large pot and add the meat. Once it’s cooked add the rest of the ingredients. Cook the food until the spinach is ready. Cool before serving.
Meatloaf with oats and veggies
Ingredients: half of lb of minced beef, ½ cup of cheese, 1 ½ cups of oats, 2 eggs, 1 ½ cups of mixed vegetables. Preheat the oven to 350 °. Combine all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Grease a pan and gently spread the mixture into the pan. Bake for 40 minutes. Cool then slice before serving.